In celebration of the 125th anniversary of the birth of Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos, The Villa-Lobos Music Society, Inc. is producing an original cause-driven cultural event, which will combine the instrumental and vocal music of Villa-Lobos, with an adaptation, for dance, of naturalist William Henry Hudson’s novel Green Mansions, set in the Amazon rainforest.
Our vision is to present a groundbreaking new full-length dance work that tells a powerful story and effectively communicates a message that will ignite the human spirit and inspire love and respect for one another and for our natural environment.
In that endeavor, we are committed to
* presenting the music of Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos in a new and exciting way, by combining his instrumental and vocal music compositions with a new adaptation, for dance, of naturalist William Henry Hudson’s novel Green Mansions
* utilizing diverse dance disciplines to transcend all language barriers, bringing the characters and rainforest animals of Hudson’s novel to life on stage in a way that allows all people to fully embrace the romantic and moving story of Green Mansions, and its vital message
* assembling an experienced and critically acclaimed team of stage designers, whose combined skills and imaginative thinking will make it possible to innovatively apply multiple stagecraft technologies to remove the lines between fantasy and reality in live performance, allowing the story’s human and rainforest animal inhabitants to interact seamlessly on stage, and creating an indelible image of the beauty and vitality of the Amazon rainforest, so our audiences will receive a profound visual experience, as they are elevated to a higher understanding of the story
* re-invigorating environmental awareness by effectively aligning the Green Mansions production to the current efforts to protect our natural habitats, echoed so poignantly in the works of Villa-Lobos and Hudson, by inspiring our audiences to fully understand the beauty of the forest and the consequences of its destruction
* making Green Mansions accessible to the widest possible audience through touring, the creative use of media, and other outreach efforts, including the development of educational programming devoted to such issues as environmental advocacy, tolerance and human rights, as well as music, dance, science and the visual arts
* pursuing our vision by actively encouraging partnerships with ecological organizations, and sharing a percentage of the proceeds from ongoing productions of Green Mansions in support of our common cause
* re-defining the value of meaningful story-telling through music and dance as a powerful medium to inspire, inform and motivate audience members to action on critical issues of our time